There are so many seasonal fruits and vegetables to look forward to when spring rolls around. Two of my favorites are beets and spinach. I like to combine the sweet taste of beets with the tanginess of citrus and the bold flavor of goat cheese to make a delicious and vibrantly colored salad.
For a dressing, I like to drizzle it with my healthy go-to oil and vinegar dressing. The light flavor allows the taste of the salad to shine through.
Optionally, you can add cooked shrimp or chicken for protein for a fully balanced meal.
The recipe calls for goat cheese, but if you don’t eat it, you can substitute it with feta cheese. Also, tangerines work just as well as clementines in the recipe.
It will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’s easy, and pretty, to take to work or on a picnic when stored in a mason jar. Just keep the dressing separate until you’re ready to eat it.
Beet and Citrus Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 4 large beets
- 4 clementines, separated into sections
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Add the beets to a large pot of boiling water. Simmer until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to create a dressing. Mix well.
- Peel and cut into bite-size cubes. Add remaining ingredients. Drizzle with dressing. Stir to mix.
What’s your favorite Spring food or recipe? Share in the comments. I’d love to know!
Loving Life–The Reboot!
This article provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this article, or in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. Consult your own physician for any medical issues that you may be having.